Wednesday 18 March 2015

Life goals in 2012

Back in 2012 I was looking at my life and realised that whilst I was doing 'stuff', and new stuff too, I didn't have any set goals. I'd just heard of the popular term 'bucket list' and it started to make sense for me to create my own.

I split bucket items into 2 categories; life goals in a given year and life-time goals with no dates attached.

The idea was to challenge myself and focus my efforts, time and resources on achieving them. They weren't set and could change whenever, but they all had to be significant to me and not something I could easily achieve. Some of them would be completed by chance, others by dedication and training.

I've continued these life goals each year into 2015 and I'm only now looking back and thinking about what I went through and how it's changed me. Whilst those thoughts are for me and to aid in shaping my next goals, I thought it cool to share what the life goals were and whether I managed to complete them.

This guy right here just went scuba diving and loved it
Ride 100 miles in one go - done
I rode a UK Cycling Event sportive at 101 miles or so and it was exhausting. It genuinely felt like a great achievement; a milestone in my endurance and my commitment to these challenges. I've since ridden more too.

Scuba dive - done - lifetime goal
This was on my 'lifetime goals' list that wasn't specific to a year. I just happened to be in Egypt this year and the hotel offered the option. I snapped it up and had one of the most fun and unique experiences you can have.

Run an Ultra marathon - done
I've marked this as done, but cheekily, whilst writing this in 2015, I hadn't actually run my first ultra in 2012. It wasn't until October 2013 when I chose to run the Caesar's Camp 30 mile Endurance run that I could say I'd run my first Ultra.

Complete a marathon - done - lifetime goal
My awesome Rome marathon medal
I completed this one in 2012, honest. It was Rome and whoever planned the event was clearly on the tourist board. A fantastic route that snaked around all of the major attractions that starts and finishes at the iconic Colosseum!

Looking back, for me at the time, a marathon was a miracle of endurance. Only the toughest run marathons, and the training is long and intense. Now, pfft. A marathon is a hard 4 hours with or without training. The change in my attitude to them is night and day.

Complete a trail run - done
Sounds easy, but before 2012 I hadn't really run off road all that much. I was mainly a road-runner and was content enough with running between roads, dodging cars and accepting the damage that sloped roads inflict on legs and ankles. Running on trails, and on a regular basis, has changed my preferences and opened up a world of experiences.

Visit Niagara Falls - done - lifetime goal
Running in the US Timberman
half Ironman event

This was a lifetime goal again. A mega-big-deal for me and I was so happy to be there and to experience the awe of nature. The boat trip around the pool underneath the waterfalls was a tremendous experience and I'd recommend it to everyone who goes there.

Complete a half Ironman - done
Timberman, US. An iffy stomach made this harder and less comfortable than it should be, but the support of my friend, Mark Dye, and a determination to finish it led me to the end. I must have used the port-a-loos 10 times on the course. I've not done any triathlons since (or maybe there was one), but it's on the lifetime goals to do the full Ironman at some point.

Set-up my bike shed - done
A life goal? Setting up a bike shed? Really? Yup. I'm passionate about my bikes and I've always wanted a proper bike shed to call my own. Setting up a space just for me and my bikes is the perfect rewards for years of fettling unstable upside-down bikes.

Learn how to cook a meal from scratch
I didn't do this one. I love food, but just not enough to go out of my way and try to create something from scratch. I thought I'd learn something, gain some insight and maybe form a new hobby, but alas, it's just not for me.

Finish the year with my Manager happy with my work performance - done
This was important. I try hard at work and whilst I'm still learning the ways of the corporate ladder, my passion can at times be unequalled and I wanted to start to really prove myself at work.
Chewie, our rescue Dalmation

Own a dog - done - lifetime goal
I've always wanted a dog. My Nan had one. My friends had one. My girlfriend had one. They knew people who had one. Random people on the street had one. And when I finally convinced my wife, that I, Sean Parry, swore to look after the pooch in sickness and in health (yeah, right), she gave way and we got the most lovely dog in the world. Clearly she's out for lunch most of the time, but she has character, cuteness and she loves running and riding with me. Best dog ever.
The awe of nature. Niagara Falls


No comments:

Post a Comment