Monday 25 March 2013

Mountain biking with a Dalmation

So adorable. Also, intolerably gassy.
2 hours. That's how long you need to walk your Dalmatian (mine is about 1 years old) for them to be even slightly tired. 3 hours plus for a possibility of a quiet afternoon at home with the dog snoozing.

However, a few weeks back I hit on the idea of riding with the dog (she's running I've had to state several times in conversation). So now I can go for a one hour ride on local trails and then, as my wife puts it, I've broken the dog and I'm free to enjoy a quiet afternoon without noses and paws appearing all the time. Bliss.

I did build her up with a gentle 5km ride, but frankly she could have done that in her sleep. So I've upped it to 10km and added lots of hills for a real work-out.

And the side effect of course is that I'm not wasting lots of time walking around (boring!). I'm out on the trails and enjoying the sport I love. What's more, I then get to go home and clean and fettle my bike for hours. Clearly a perfect way to spend any day.

Things I've learned when riding with my Dalmatian


  • They have a tendency to change direction very quickly
  • They like being just ahead of you (test your brakes often)
  • My one wondered what my tires tasted like. Thus, she licked them. Mid-ride
  • You need to stop every now and then to give them time to sniff around and get some mental stimulation
  • You need to stop every now and then to give them time to pee and poop around
  • You should have a bowl of water ready for when they finish
  • In the UK climate, you may want to give your Dalmatian (or any short haired dog) a coat. I use a waterproof and fleece jacket and it keeps her snug
  • Dry your dog after a wet run. Mine shivers if she isn't thoroughly dry
  • Don't get too far away. My dog could see me on a straight fire-road, but still she decided to run off in the exact opposite direction to try and find me
  • Don't run too fast. 10 mph is good. More is fine in short sprints
  • I ease up on the fast descents. My dog tries to keep up and I think she'd do herself an injury if I pushed it
  • Don't ride / push it / make it all about you if the dog isn't feeling great. That's not cool

2 comments:

  1. in Denmark we ride on bike paths and dog runs on pavement alongeside. I want to train a dalmation to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never found that my dog can be trusted to run alongside me on busy paths. Her tail and hind legs have gone under my wheels a few times as she's simply cut across my path when a smell has taken her. Dalmatians aren't the smartest of all dogs. I've tried with a lead as well, but that meant we both had an accident. If I really wanted to, I think with training she might get there, but you'd have to put the effort in - or hope you have one of the smarter of the breed :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete